Monday, December 17, 2007

Knox County Commissioners Prepare To Step Into God And Politics Debate Again

KNOXVILLE (WATE) -- Knox County commission meetings typically begin with a prayer.

A recent meeting began with this opening by Commissioner Tony Norman: "Keep me safe, oh God. I come to you for refuge. I said to the Lord, you are my master."

The prayer serves as a recognition of God, but some commissioners want to take it a step further by putting their faith in writing.

"There is going to be a day of reckoning and I don't want somebody to come to me and say, 'Remember back on county commission and you didn't recognize me, I don't recognize you?' So you are not coming into heaven," Commissioner R. Larry Smith said.

Commissioners Ivan Harmon and Greg Lambert are sponsoring a resolution that states:

"The Knox County Commission hereby urges all American citizens, to proclaim to every level of government (Local, State, and Federal) its responsibility to publicly recognize God as the Foundation of our National Heritage."

More...